As the 2012 racing season
comes to a close, it is nice to take some time to reflect on the memories and
moments that make bike racing such an enjoyable lifestyle. After having a lame
season last year due to lack of training and enjoying the college life, I think
I have learned much more this summer than I have in any previous years of
racing. When I say learning, I don’t particularly mean tactics and such, but
more of why I ride.
At the start of the summer I
purchased a simple Ironman Timex sports watch. When my dad noticed one day and asked
why I had bought the watch, I gave him an explanation that sums up the general
theme I have learned this year. I replied to his question stating that I had
purchased the watch not for it’s ability to tell time, but to remind my self
everyday that I am an athlete. Everyday, when I look at my wrist, I am reminded
of my identity, and the choices I should make to fulfill that character. After living in a fraternity I know
that it is very easy to escape from the world of cycling just as easy as it is to unfasten the watch on my wrist. It is a constant reminder as to why I
ride and to ride in my own way that will give me a story to hang onto so that I can reply over and
over and it will always put a smile on my face. I ride because that’s who I am, when I feel most like myself, and who I want to continue to be. Hence, consistency with training is a must and I have seen the outcome of this continued long-term effort this season.
It is now officially the
off-season for me and I have lots of work to do for next year. The watch on my
wrist reminds me there are no off days in the program of an athlete, and that
each day is a decision on how I will spend my time in this world. I have the
free will to spend it how I choose, and I choose to wear the watch. Looking
forward I am very excited to consistently train and improve to be active in the collegiate racing season and in
becoming a dominant force in the ½ races. More importantly, I am excited to feel the discipline and reward of working hard whether it be riding long miles, stretching, measuring my power improvements, and overall stay fit while having fun. Thank you to all who actually take the
time to read my blog. I enjoy downloading my thoughts on cycling for all to read.
Here are some of my
accomplishments this season:
Eagle Creek Traditional Crit- 1st
Race the Bend Overall-2nd
Race the Ben Criterium-3rd
Winona Lake RR-3rd
Eagle Creek Criterium-4th
Long Run Park-5th
Jude Clark Criterium-5th
Top 10's
Fort Wayne Criterium-9th
Race the Bend Criterium (day 2) -6th
Warsaw Criterium-8th
Bloomington Grand Prix-8th
Eagle Creek Traditional Crit- 1st
Race the Bend Overall-2nd
Race the Ben Criterium-3rd
Winona Lake RR-3rd
Eagle Creek Criterium-4th
Long Run Park-5th
Jude Clark Criterium-5th
Top 10's
Fort Wayne Criterium-9th
Race the Bend Criterium (day 2) -6th
Warsaw Criterium-8th
Bloomington Grand Prix-8th
-Cat 1 Upgrade
-Indiana Criterium Bronze Medalist
-20 min. max power 353
WATTS
-10 sec. max power 1536 WATTS
-10 sec. max power 1536 WATTS
As always, Life is good.
-Graham
No comments:
Post a Comment